Submitted: 06-09-2010 by mkcfool
I had hoped the Kestrel SOT in a composite material would be a durable, light and fast boat. At 39 lbs, made of lightweight Kevlar with a gel coat, it met the light part just fine. With a fairly narrow entry, the speed is acceptable for its width/length ratio.

Durable, it is not. I don't know if I just got a bad boat layup, or if this is the way all of Current Design boats come out, but I have de-lamination and chipping of the gel coat all along the keel. I can't even barely bump it without more of the same. So, enough of the construction. It is a beautiful boat, elegant and clean lined. However, I feel the paddler sits too reclined. I know, its an SOT and it supposed to be that way, but this boat feels extra reclined even with the seat back in. I bought one in 2008, and I'm not sure of the year this one was made but Current Designs changed the foot well area. Good thing. Mine has four step style increments for placing your feet, and only a midget could use the first one. I am 5' 9", and I use the last one. These 'steps' also take up all the area around your legs, and there is no room at all except for the water bottle holder, which is so shallow its unusable. CD has changed it to a normal adjustable foot peg style, and the well area looks deeper.

I think Current Designs creates beautiful craft. I would buy another boat from CD, but I think they missed some key design elements on this one.