Submitted: 06-09-2010 by Robin

After much reading and talking to owners of the P&H Bahiya I decided to buy one. I am an intermediate class paddler who owns 5 other kayaks, fiber-glass and Carbon. I am 65, 6ft, and weighs 170lbs. No new boats were available so I bought mine used at the James Island Kayak festival.

Construction, fiberglass is excellent. Slightly lighter than Valley or Nigel Foster boats - the light weight facilitates lifting and an easy shoulder carry. Bolts are glassed over or capped. Hatch covers are Kajak, last much longer than Valley's. The skeg deploys and retracts easily. The cockpit is comfortable, some personal padding has been installed.

The cockpit rim allows spray skirt attachment with ease. I had been warned about excessive tippiness by several owners and dealers. Slightly more so than my Legend, but no problem. Light initially, firms up with leaning. Tracking is quite straight with the barest trace of weathercocking. A light edging or using the skeg remedies that. In 2-3 foot chop no spray makes it to the cockpit.

The boat: rolls easily, catches waves quickly, and holds good speed with little exertion. The hatches do not leak. Although I do not consider the Bahiya too tippy, it is not a beginner's kayak.
I am happy with my choice