Submitted: 06-04-2010 by unclejack1945

In our late 60ís my wife and I decided to get sell our white water boats and move on to day touring exclusively. My wifeís touring boat is a Hurricane Expedition 128 that she absolutely loves. I had an Epic GP but wanted something a bit longer with more storage. At my wifeís urging I test rode an older Tampico 140L. I assume older as the cockpit listing on the new ones are 33" x 18", however the one I tested, and eventually bought, was 38" x 21".

Being used to the snug fit of the Epic I was initially taken aback by the huge opening, lack of thigh braces, and the tall rise; but unlike my Epic there was room for my size 12 feet, a real plus. The foot pegs are easily adjustable while in the boat if you want to move them closer, but if you need to extend them you better head for shore as you need to pull a release lever on the fore end of the peg toward you, and push the peg away from you at the same time. That said, there is plenty of adjustment to fit my 6', 210# + frame. If you are used to thigh braces and snug fitting cockpit, edging is going to be a bit more challenging. Couple that with a full length keel, and you will find that maneuvering this boat takes some getting use to.

It has good initial and secondary stability. It doesnít feel that way however, due in part to the lack of control without thigh braces. I added some foam to the knee areas on the underside of the deck of my boat but have to move the pegs closer in order to make knee contact with the foam. This position resolves the control problem, somewhat. Catch 22, on the long flat straight stretches when I try to gather speed my feet are too close for real leg comfort and good paddle rhythm.

My Epic was like a rocket in the water, this boat feels like a barge in comparison, but then I AM retired and have no real need for speed, ya right! My wifeís shorter (12'8") boat is much faster than this 14 footer. When I push it there is a noticeable bow wake that is not present when I paddle my wife's boat. I have tried various weight transfer options, and none have satisfactorily resolved the problem.

Hurricane's new adjustable seat, although reasonably comfortable, is not my cup of tea. I much prefer a sling back support and a smooth bottom to the high back and foam, but then thatís all personal preference isn't it? You won't be able to adjust the height of the seat back while on the water without some real practice on land. The ability to create some support behind your knees from the bottom of the seat is a very nice feature however. Both storage compartments have proven to have plenty of space, large opening, and remain water tight.

Finish of the boat is wonderful and the shine cleans up with mild soap and water. Spending most of our time on Sierra lakes and rocky rivers the hull has taken some real beatings with not a sign of leakage. Scratches yes, holes no. Deck rigging is more than adequate to secure my deck bag, extra paddle and large rubber ducky.

All in all the boat does fill my current paddle needs, but for the reasons mentioned above, I wouldn't buy it again. If you are a person with larger girth, the oversize cockpit will be to your liking, BUT, if you are, I would much recommend the Expedition 128. It has same size storage compartments, same size cockpit, greater total weight capacity, is more maneuverable, and is faster in the water.

I would definitely consider the purchase of another Hurricane product as value to dollar they are hard to beat. My next boat will undergo better research and testing on my part before I lay out my hard earned, fixed pension, cash. Just one man's opinion...

Vasa, Inc.: