Submitted: 06-04-2010 by Jon

A great deal of homework over many months pointed towards this 12' kayak, which I'll use for local saltmarsh and inshore fly-fishing.

The boat is very sturdy and feels quite fast through the water. I bought scupper plugs immediately as a lot of water came into the boat at my feet and right behind the seat.

I spoke with Perception and they confirmed the Pescador is exactly the same boat as the 2008 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 (Perception and WS are the same company), so I feel I got quite a good deal on a 12' sit on top kayak well suited for fishing, all for under $500. The seat is very comfortable and feels durable. I also wanted a boat without graded foot wells, so this fit the bill. At 60lbs the boat feels quite heavy, but I can lift it on and off the car quite easily. Storage in the boat is very good.

Overall this seems like exactly the boat I was looking for for calm water fly fishing. Sturdy, fast, and durable. Not sure what modifications have been made to the new Tarpon, but if you're on a tight budget and want to save a few hundred dollars (actually i think it's nearly half the cost), I'd recommend a close look at the Pescador.