Submitted: 06-04-2010 by Bmwbob

Tried this pedal powered boat at the East Coast Canoe and Kayak festival this year in Charleston. Here are my observations which I (verbally) conveyed to the Native rep on site:
  1. The gear ratio and/or prop pitch is TOO high for tbs boat. It requires too much pedal effort to take it to hull speed.
  2. To compensate for the higher workload, the crank arms are so long that it makes smooth pedalling nearly impossible, thus eliminating one of the advantages it has over the Hobie pedal system.
  3. The seat needs some means of securing it's front edge to prevent it tipping backwards in response to the effort you put into pedalling.
  4. The rudder, which mounts to the end of the keel is not effective enough. With a small breeze blowing on the pond, I found it quite difficult to turn towards the wind.
I say all of these things as the VERY satisfied owner of a Native Ultimate 16 tandem. If they would reduce the gear ratio or pitch, and correspondingly shorten the crank arms, this would be a real consideration for a replacement (as a tandem with the Ultimate tunnel hull) for our current boat. I did watch several different size (and gender) folks try the boat, and their results were comparable to my own.