Submitted: 07-23-2000 by Danny

I have had my Jo for 4 days. As you can see I rate it a 7. Why would you buy a yak you are only rating a 7 ?? First, I wanted a sleek sea kayak, and I wanted to go solo, for days at a time. HOWEVER, my 6 and 8 year old had other ideas. So maybe one day !! But for now I have a Jocassee, even have trouble pronoucing it sometime. But it has good storage for a boat with no hatches. The stability is just great, and I mean that. You must be careful when you ask someone that paddles a ya about stability, most of them have a weird idea of the word STABILITY. Some of them think a log is stable. The Jo holds a good line ( I do have a rudder, the Jo does need one) I can let my son paddle (he is just learning) and have no problem keeping the boat headed where I want to go. It is big, and it is heavy. But those, alone with the hull shape, are what make it so stable. Loading is more of a problem than unloading. I drive a full size van so the height ads to the problem. But by using a Paddle Boy cart I get it done. Loaded with three of us the ya handles well, paddles surprising fast, and is very quit. It really works best with just two if us and gear. To paddle solo you extend the rudder pegs out, slide the front seat back, load up, and take off. This yak does solo very good for a tantem boat. Very good first boat.