Submitted: 05-24-2010 by mark

A true recreational kayak that does well even out of its intended use. I have had this kayak for a few months now and have rode it in everything from a small lake, rivers, the Chesapeake bay and the ocean. I must say for the price this is one of the better boats I have paddled.

My only complaints is that it does not have a drain plug. I have had this boat in the surf before where it does quite well for a recreational kayak, but due to the location of use it fills with water quite quickly with out a skirt. This is where the drain plug would come in handy. even with 3 or so inches of water in the bottom if you flip this boat to drain the edges around the cockpit does not allow all the water to be removed and must be sponged out. Not a real big deal but a plug would be handy.

The Zone seat pads and foot braces are a nice luxury even with salt water use and the sand I have had no problems of binding from the braces or the wearing of the seat pad. Not saying that it won’t happen but as of yet it is good to go. The dry storage compartment does it job quite well even after a day at the beach only a small amount of water entered the compartment which is to be expected from water usually swamping over the boat while landing, not really a big deal to me since the only thing I keep back there is float bags. Speaking of float bags if you use this for anything other than calm water I recommend float bags there is a small amount of foam installed in the bow from the factory but not nearly enough if you choose to push the term recreational which I tend to do.

On lakes, and calm rivers this yak does well I find it to paddle better than the Old Towne Loon and the Old Town Vapor all of which wear the recreational kayak badge. It tracks well for a shorter boat if one is expecting a kayak to travel in strait line I suggest a boat over 14ft with a rudder or skeg installed. The speed is also very comparable to the shorter boats. It also does better at surfing than the Loon, but the Vapor had a slight advantage that day because it is shorter than the rhythm. All of these boats were equipped about the same style spray skirts and float bags.

I know some folks are going to read this and think I'm crazy for surfing this boat, but to me a recreation kayak should do whatever I feel the need to do and this has so far delivered. It is not tippy, and easy to enter exit if you are in a market for an all purpose ship this one that should be considered.