Submitted: 05-24-2010 by sonic
I bought my Torrent back in 2004 and was my first WW boat. I have taken it down a number of Class II / III runs without any problem except for the occasional swim & it doesnít side surf very well. It is a very nice platform for warm days, but doesnít have the body contact / control of a standard kayak. I have found that I get a lot of newby friends wanting to use it since itís a SOT, but when they get on the water itís a problem. They canít get it to track since itís designed to turn. I like it for this reason, but I end up doing a vertical forward stroke paddling class for them. When / if they master this, it is good for their future paddling life. I like to use it when going with inexperienced groups so I can jump off to show them a technique. It is also a good platform for photography & to collect wildlife samples with. The thing I like most about it is I can rest my legs in may different positions, so no cramping like in a standard hull after many hours on a stream. I also added bungee line in the stern for a cooler & dry bag & an after market seat. It really needs this for back comfort. I have recently purchased a LL Coupe SOT (review to follow after Iíve had it out a few more times), but I will be keeping my Torrent since it is much more maneuverable.