Submitted: 07-23-2000 by Tidewater Phil

I like this boat. I got mine because my outfitter gave me a great deal on it and not because I sought it out. All in all though I have been happy with it. I am pushing its outside edge now and am thinking of a longer and thinner boat. Old Town plastic is great.It is tough and looks great--I have not seen any plastic that seems as high quality. The Egret is a bit wide--24 1/2 inches--so it is very stable but a bit sluggish on the lean. It is hard for me to roll in as it does not offer a tight fit and I tend to fall out rather than get a good knee hang. Other commenters have noted the boat's unwillingness to track after paddling which is the boat's biggest single flaw. I live in Virginia's Tidewater so we have lots of big deep rivers and the Chesapeake bay to play in. On calm days or in tidal creeks the boat is a blast. When the waves are up the Egret's flatish bottom slaps rather than slices the water and the boat tends to be a bit squirrelly when surfing with the waves. But its low profile means little weathercocking. The boat is comfortable and I am 6' tall 195 lbs and often day trip with a dry bag or two stuffed into the hold--ignore the manufacture's capacity claims. This boat is a great choice for a newer paddler who wants a faster "realer" feeling boat than most rec boats but still wants to know that they will not go over easily.