Submitted: 05-20-2010 by D. Keller

I reviewed the Torrent nearly 10 years ago and still have that same original one that I use every season on WW up to low Class 4. In fact, I now have a second one I picked up used in VG condition for friends and getting my sons up to speed in WW. 2 paddling partners have one as well.

The Torrent is great for people who want to get into WW paddling without the learning curve and time required for doing so in a kayak and the self rescue, no entrapment risk, and the easy access and ability to stretch, etc. are a real plus. It surfs well and can punch holes with ease and turns fairly well after one gets some experience with it. It also seems pretty durable and can take a beating.

Of course, this is not a boat for tight creeks (it can be but one is really going to have to work) or Class 5 WW but I do not think anyone interested in this would buy one or is a target customer. Tie down locations on bow or stern would be a nice addition. The thigh straps and foot braces work fairly well.

Overall, a great learning boat and for those of us who cannot spend 30+ days paddling every season. I have taken people down Class 2-3 rivers who have no or very little WW experience and they have done fine. They get to experience WW without having to go through all the hassle of learning a roll, etc.

An easy 9 out of 10 for what it is intended to be.