Submitted: 05-18-2010 by PW

I wanted a tandem so I could take my grandchildren kayaking. After looking at the recreational tandems at the big box stores I decided they were not as sea worthy and sturdy as I would like. I am a big fan of Prijon boats so I purchased a Capri II from our friendly local dealer: Paths, Peaks and Paddles.

This is a big boat, not easy to car top so I trailer it. It is very stable and and I feel it is a very safe boat for the children and they can move around with out fear of capsizing. You really can feel the mass of this boat when paddling by your self with a kid or two in the front cockpit. I find that I have to paddle a little slower than my normal pace if I am going to cover several miles.

Like my other Prijons the hull is very sturdy. I know this is a recreational boat but Prijon dropped the ball on some of the features: The rear (and only) cargo hatch is a small screw on type of hatch, it is difficult to secure, easy to cross thread and not up to the standards I have come to expect from Prijon. The front cock pit does not have adjustable foot braces and instead uses multiple foot rests like a sit on. It lacks deck lines and rigging that are on Prijon models.

The bottom line is that this boat does what I want it to, it provides a fun and safe kayaking experience for my grandchildren and that makes it worth the price.

Thunder Bay Tourism: