Submitted: 05-17-2010 by James H

I purchased my Extreme in 2005 and have been using it to fish the Big Sur coast of California ever since. I have it equipped with the two rectangular hatches and the bow hatch as well as the rudder system. It has four rod holders the two factory installed ones behind the seat and two that I installed on the outside of where my feet are located.

I take this kayak out in BIG swell, sometimes 6ft sometimes 8. It is not a dry ride because it tends to punch through the top of waves and you will take some water over the bow. Some people think kayaks should go over the top of a wave. But what about the big ones? I would rather stay upright.

It is not fast but it is stable and tracks well. I have been 3-4 miles out and in some pretty sketchy conditions and I was very pleased to know that I was on this kayak. She can be a real mother to land though. it is a very flat hull and very buoyant so big wave landings can cause the nose to pearl and you will get ejected. Sometimes I dismount and hold onto the rear handle. Then it's all timing... push down hard on the rear and get in fast.

I love this kayak I wouldn't trade it for anything else but another Extreme. I do think there is a lot of room for improvement, first would be to change the front hatch to a "T" handle hatch like the one on the Cobra Navigator. Stronger, drier, etc. Second, turn the mid hatch sideways so it is easier to open between the legs. Third, a more pronounced keel ridge to stiffen the hull and improve tracking. I know this would make it harder to turn but that is what the rudder is for, and I use it out on the big water so I don't make many tight turns. Lastly, the rear tank well is very shallow so I use a large crate to mounted inside it to hold my fish. Some indentations like the one for the bucket that would help hold the crate in place would be helpful but this is just nitpicking the thing.

Overall if your going to do some "extreme" ocean fishing I highly recommend the Extreme.