Submitted: 05-14-2010 by Ricky

I got the base model Vapor 12 at Dick's Sporting Goods. They had the 12 for the same price as the 10, $379. After a $10 off coupon I had the boat for $369. Not a bad deal.
    Pros:
  • Stylish look.
  • Large cockpit, big enough for me and my 2 year old son.
  • Stable.
  • Tracks nicely, even in the wind.
  • Nice fore and aft carry handles.

Cons:

• Base model has an open deck well. Carrying a small rubbermaid container will keep things dry.
  • No deck bungees.
  • Thigh padding is almost worthless.
  • Plastic edge along cockpit is sharp.
Fixes:
I placed some rubber auto edging around the inside of the cockpit to soften the edges. My pain concern was my son cutting himself on the plastic. It is also uncomfortable to pick up the kayak with the sharp edge. I plan on doing my own deck bungees and a set of bungees over the deck well.

Overall:
I like the kayak. For the price I feel like I did pretty good. I was having a hard time finding a 12 foot kayak in my price range that could perform and have enough room for me and my son. If I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat!

Northwater Paddle Sports: