Submitted: 05-13-2010 by bigkahuna

I am a relatively new kayaker, but otherwise experienced waterman (30+ years surfing and other ocean sports). I bought this kayak for general fun / surfing in small / less than ideal surf conditions. I am 6'5" tall and about 230 lbs. I've only got about an hour of use so far in 1 to 2 foot ocean waves, and about 12 knot winds and ocean chop.

The boat fits me well, plenty of room around the hips, and long enough so I can stretch my legs. This kayak easily fits a larger guy like myself. Due to my weight, I sink the boat pretty well, so the floor is always wet, but I was still able to get up some speed pretty well.

Stability is excellent, I had no problem boarding and paddling straight out through the breakers. The kayak tracks very easily, probably due to it's long, straight rockered keel. I had no problem catching the little waves, but had to really lean back and dig my paddle in to turn while surfing. Construction of the kayak seems excellent, part of the reason I chose it over an Ocean Kayak Scrambler. The side grab handles are an excellent idea.

Overall I think I'm going to enjoy this kayak, although I'll need more experience with it to see how well I'll be able to maneuver it in surf.

Suspenz: