Submitted: 05-11-2010 by DBB

I have owned the 15-foot version for about 12 years or more (seems like 20). The comments about weight and lack of maneuverability are quite accurate. Getting the thing on top of the car IS a big deal, and, to be honest, it's displacement and general hull shape remind me of the battleship Missouri. That having been said, the thing is pretty indestructible. I do take issue, however, with the stability comments. Although I have never found it a problem, my wife is extremely unfond of the way it rolls. I am picking up a set of stabilizers this week, which solves THAT problem, and the rotating hitch-mounted lift/loader devices available do solve the one-person loading issues. I am also looking at a slick folding canoe cart.

So, if you are willing to either build your own carts, carriers, etc., or spend a few dollars, then you can get around the limitations in this particular canoe (oh, did I mention the electric trolling motor?). However, if you really are into canoes, then try to find a Grumman aluminum (many hours on Lake Shasta chasing bass in one of those) or pick a nice Old Towne canoe. I would also recommend kayaks as we went down the Illinois River north of Lake Tenkiller that way and it was a lovely way to travel that river. The problem with acquiring a Grumman is that current owners usually don't want to part with them. Oh, if you really want a red Coleman 15 footer, I'd probably be willing to part with mine as the adult kids don't want it...

Northwater Paddle Sports: