Submitted: 05-10-2010 by Big_Feet

I am 6í tall, 184 lbs and 12.5 size boots. I have 3 years of experience but consider my self a beginner. I had the opportunity of renting an Ikuma 17 at Aqua Adventures in San Diego.

This is a beautiful kayak. Hatches are dry and easy to open. Well done, beautiful design. Nice blend of Greenland and British kayak. Good initial and secondary stability. I never adjusted the back rest but it would have been better to do so.

I didn't roll it but it is very maneuverable yet it also tracks well without wind. It didnít do that well with the head wind in the main channel of Mission Bay. I liked the feel of it and the acceleration. I could compare it with the Explorer I rented a while earlier. It is very light for 17' and easy to get it out of the water alone.

The only draw back was that my feet did not fit. I know that kayaking is a small people sport but with a 17 feet boat I was expecting that my 12.5 feet will be OK. The shop owner suggested I could try different booties to improve my ability in this and other boats. I was wearing wet shoes more proper of sit on tops.

Very nice boat I hope I can make it fit.