Submitted: 05-07-2010 by Stefan

I bought my Q-Boat used about a year ago as the opportunity popped up. I am 6'4 and a bit above 250 lbs, and the Q-boat is close to perfect for me. I've used it so far on flat water and up to 2-3 ft wind waves on larger lakes. The primary stability is very reassuring, even a bit high as you tend to get thrown around a bit in short steep wind waves. Secondary is ok.

What really makes this boat great fun to paddle is its maneuverabilly. Just edge it slightly in flat water, and it will lock into a tight turn until you stop it with a paddle stroke. Leaning into the turn with a paddle brace, you can turn well in excess of a 90. Drop the skeg and it tracks straight even in beam and quartering wind and waves. In surfs beautifully in 2 ft. waves, without the tendency to dive.

Despite the considerable tail rocker, the speed is on par with my Nordkapp Jubilee, most likely because the hard chines form quite a flat bottom extending far to the back. Compared to the N'kapp it lies a bit deeper in the water, and has a little less storage space, on account of its flatter rear deck. Rolling is effortless, laybacks are very easy. As a bottom line: Very similar in performance to the N'kapp, turns and surfs a bit better, gets thrown around a bit more in short waves. It is a very close comparison, however. Both are great boats. On the water, I even prefer the looks of the Q-boat on account of its elegant, strong sheer.