Submitted: 05-04-2010 by freakystyley

I bought the boat based on web reviews and the ability to "cross over" from flat to moving water. First and foremost, I REALLY like this boat, the cockpit is a nice size (I'm 6'2" ~225#) without feeling like a big open rec boat. I do think that it is better suited to moving water, but the drop skeg does help track, as does good paddling style.

I am not sure the company claim "beginner" is accurate, as a rec boat with full keel may feel a bit more stable primarily - the Axis does hold its own, but more so on secondary stability I think. The hull is a sort of V/U hybrid shape that gives the best of both without limiting the design (where the crossover comes in).

If you can only have one boat I think you would be very happy with the Axis - I am, but I knew what I wanted going in! I have flat water boats and river rigs, I wanted something that I could travel with and do both pretty well instead of bringing two boats that do separate things very well. I wouldn't expect the 12 footer to bomb down some III/IV water - especially rocky, but anything less would be a-OK.