Submitted: 04-21-2010 by RIKJOHNSON
I received as a gift the latest Jet-Boil system. So here is what I found out over the weekend cleaning Lake Patagonia with the SAPC.

The Jet-Boil is a one-trick pony. BUT it does that trick very well. It boils water really fast! And since most of my camping and hiking foods are of the "add water and eat" variety, this is no problem for me at all. And left over boiling water goes into the wash-bucket for the dishes. BUT, for those of you who like to cook, it may cause some problems.

So JetBoil has invented a simmering pot and frying pan, which are great for car-camping but not so good for backpacking or kayak-camping where space counts. There is an option below.

Their website even gives a page on recipes you can make with your Jetboil. Believe it or not, while reading, one person actually posted Raman Noodles and another mac-&-cheese. But there are others listed. Shrimp, etc. They encourage you to experiment and post your own recipes. Good idea there.

The JetBoil consists of three parts: The pot to hold water, The stove, The fuel can. They all nest into the water pot to be easily carried and to protect the stove.

I did a survey on-line and found out the following things Jetboil will NOT tell you (possibly a liability issue, probably to sell you their own gear:

*FUEL- JetBoil sells you their own special IsoButane-Propane fuel in two sizes: the smaller can to fit inside the pot and a larger one that does not. The smaller fuel-can can heat the canister 10-12 times which means 3-4 days of meals.

BUT, asking around, I find that any fuel that can screw in, will work. It just wonít work as well. I used a Coleman Propane-Butane can and it worked for me. There are a number of fuel mixes that will work, but be prepared for the 10-12 meals to reduce to 8-10. But the non Jet-boil cans are cheaper. You do the math.

NOTE: USE the plastic tripod stabilizer they give you. When full and assembled, it is tippy so use the tripod. Itís a bit difficult to put on so I got an extra one in case I break the first one.

*USE- screw the pot onto the stove (remember to unfold the fuel valve first, I forgot) then set the can onto the tripod. Turn the valve until you hear fuel leak and hit the striker-switch a couple times. The fuel will ignite THEN you put the pot of water onto the stove and wait. My Coleman can heated a full canister of cold water to a rolling boil in 4 minutes. I realized it was boiling when drops of hot water started to land on the book I was reading. Boil-overs are a problem if you try to fudge the instructions. Less or warmer water takes much shorter times.

Some people complain about the noise, I barely heard it hiss while cooking. I guess those people have super-hearing so if you 'sleep' with a 'friend', do it well away from those people with sensitive hearing.

BUT, if you are going to cook in the pot, you MUST watch it. No, "set it up and walk to the tent for a drink" STAY there! Or you will bake the food to the pot before you know it.

NOTE: if I want to use my own camping pots, it was recommended to me that I buy a "Heat Diffuser" that goes on a stove ($5 at ACE). Or make one. Then put this over the stove (buy the Jet-boil Pot Support) and I am told you can use your camping pots safely. I made one but didnít have the lifter-thing to keep the diffuser off the stove so never had a chance to test it. IF you buy that Pot-Support lifter and a diffuser, you can use your own pots to cook in.

One strange thing I found is that the pot has a neoprene sleeve around the pot and it NEVER melted! The lid is plastic and it NEVER melted either. There is some serious safety engineering going on there. And the sleeve and handle lets me pick the pot and pour boiling water safely! I still donít know what the little sleeve on the neoprene sleeve is for. A spoon holder???

DOWNSIDE- I decided to leave my Coleman single-burner stove behind because I had all these half-empty fuel cans and didnít know "is it almost full or almost empty?" And so I'd carry a new can and a bunch of used cansÖ which means I carry them ALL out again.
Thus I returned to my Optimus Hiker. I KNOW how much fuel is in my fuel tank and how much is in my small fuel bottle and exactly how long that will last.

NOW, with the Jet-boil, I am back to the fuel can problem. It will take a few trips before I get the timing down again. How many meals will a full can do? Will I forever take one new can and one used can for every weekend trip? How many used cans will I collect before I haul them ALL into the field to drain? Thatís why I stopped carrying gallons of water and bought a couple katadyn water filters. To reduce load.

Also, the second series had some problems with the striker. That was fixed and the First-Gen and the current-generation are safe. If you have the Second-Gen Jet-Boil, they will send you the replacement parts to fix it for free.

HINT: If you donít like the idea of carrying the pot (and gear and all those fuel cans) and all the other stuff, be a girl!

Ok, that wasn't an insult. Men are competitive. When Harry and Brian and I are cooking, Harry pulls out his MSR, I pull out my Optimus and Brian pulls out his Jetboil! Then we all sit there, cooking separate meals and bragging over what we did to make the stove better and stealing each others ideas. We can offer our stove to the other guys, but we all reply, "thanks, Iím using mine."

Women are socializers. When three girls cook, one pulls out the stove, another pulls out the pots, another pulls out the flatware & cutlery and they share the load and experience.

So if you are camping in a group, divide the gear. Do you really need three stoves? Three sets of pots-&-pans? If you like the JetBoil, one guy carries that, another the nesting cook-set, another the heat diffuser and spoons, etc.

Of course, being a guy, Iíll ignore that last suggestion.