Submitted: 04-13-2010 by gwen

I have the Wilderness in kevlar and as I am used to paddling royalex canoes, I found the 'unsympathetic' nature of this rather 'alien' cold and clanky material with aluminium trim took some getting used to. Now though I really love this boat for the weight - it is so easy to carry and even though I am a retired woman of 61, I have no trouble getting it up on top of my high top camper van on my own. This alone has got to override all other considerations and was the only reason I went for kevlar. I agree with the awful rattly seat and have now fixed it in one position so that's ok. The boat isn't that manoeuverable but then it is a trip boat after all and tracks well and fast.

I have been a little disappointed in the performance of the kevlar/gel coat however as I have found it has scratched extremely easily right through to the kevlar as the coating is very thin (to keep the weight down presumably). I have already had to repair it with epoxy and put patches on bow and stern which do not blend at all. However, it is a lovely looking boat, it gets lots of comments, and the colour blends very well with the reeds around my local waterways. It needs treating with UV coating otherwise the colour darkens over time, although I like the more mellow colour.