Submitted: 04-12-2010 by Steve

Before buying the 9.5' Swifty I read a lot of mixed reviews that leaned toward the positive side for novice users. I have to say I really like it.
I am a novice kayaker but a 30 year boating veteran. I bought two of these for my wife and I. We went out for a couple hours this week. It was on a lake with about 8mph winds.

The little kayak was very stable, extremely maneuverable and has a decent speed. At one point I even laid down in it with my feet up on the deck. A very stable little boat.

It's very responsive to the paddle. That might be bad for some people as it noses left and right if you really dig in the paddle...but on a positive note you can do a 360 degree turn within a 10' diameter. Great for tight spots.

It handled the wind very well. Even though the wind impacted our speed, if we stopped and drifted we didn't drift any more than in a canoe or fishing boat.

Speed wise it definitely has a limit. You have to paddle hard to get good speed. But on the flip side if you paddle gently you get better speed than you would expect from the minimal effort. And if you stop paddling it does glide along straight rather well.

I would HIGHLY recommend these for the price we paid, $299 at Dicks. I would recommend them for novice and intermediate paddlers. Unless you have a special need for a specific type of boat, the Swifty will exceed your recreational kayak expectations. Order your paddles from Amazon.com and save even more money. We got some awesome sturdy paddles for $24 a piece.

Vasa, Inc.: