Submitted: 04-12-2010 by Skip Sherrod

I ordered my SportsRig trailer in early March 2010 for a trip later in the month. The person I dealt with at SportsRig agreed to have the trailer out the door and to Fed Express by mid-March. Both delivered exactly on time. The parts, powder coating, and finish all looked fine. A friend and I put the trailer together without incident with all parts used and none left over. We hooked it up to the van, plugged in the trailer lighting connector and everything worked. It was a good feeling. A short test ride went fine except that I couldn't see the trailer out the rear window of my camper van. The solution was a yellow fiberglass antenna with an adapter for the rear load bar all from a local bike shop. It worked fine for backing the trailer and giving a visual cue as to where to the rear of trailer was. It would be a good accessory for SportsRig to offer for trailers hooked to vans or SUVís that block the view of the trailer.

We took off on a 1500-mile trip with our fingers crossed. The trailer handled beautifully and if it hadn't been for the fiberglass pole I wouldn't have known it was back there. It carries two kayaks using Yakima Stackers and a large Thule Cargo box with no problem at all. The SportsRig's 1,500-mile maiden voyage was uneventful. My initial rating is 10 out of 10 for SportsRig because they and it deserve no less.

Thunder Bay Tourism: