Submitted: 04-05-2010 by BV

This canoe is great with a trolling motor. I am a new boat owner and I made the mistake of buying a gas motor for this boat. I purchased a new Yamaha 4 stroke, 4 HP motor for it and my first weekend out on the water was disheartening.

I fish in saltwater on the Laguna Madre and I've found it is much more scary to use the gas outboard than it is to take it slow in rough water while using a trolling motor.

Although, when the bay is calm, the rig runs perfectly. The unfortunate thing here: It is rarely calm on the Lower Laguna Madre.

I plan on salvaging these two purchases with another purchase: Heavy duty stabilizers. I know I am over-reacting, but I do not want to lose my new outboard. If the outriggers do not work, I'm saving the Bayou 160 for electric only and putting the Yamaha on a Jon Boat.

Overall, a sweet canoe!