Submitted: 04-02-2010 by Rick L.

This canoe is a 9 out of 10, just because it's hard to be a perfect 10.
All of these low ratings are written by people whose needs are different than what the Ram-X provides...

... Clunky, heavy, wide turns, ugly: yes.
... Indestructible, buoyant, stable, high carrying capacity: Yes!

I have owned a $200 15ft Coleman Ram-X and also a $2500 kevlar Wenonah. I am currently shopping for canoes to take out on local (Philadelphia-MD-NJ) creeks, rivers, and lakes. Guess what I am shopping for??? A Coleman Ram-X!

I want something that can scrape over rocks, a lot of rocks ... bash into fallen trees ... run up on shore for easy exit, any shore (cement, asphalt, rocks, sand, etc.). I want something large for carrying my cooler full of ice cold beverages. I want something stable so I can stand up and paddle or sit tight while being pounded by 30" waves in windy and choppy waters.

I don't need to go fast, I canoe to get outside and relax on the water, not to race. If I was in a group, that would be an issue though, but I would only want to canoe with leisurely canoists/canoers/folks. If you want to go fast, you should invest in an entirely different knid of canoe, and they are very very nice, but not rugged.

If you have trouble lifting heavier canoes, then don't buy this, you should buy a shorter canoe or a canoe made of a different material. But hey, I have a herniated disc and do not lift more than 25lbs due to this, and I manage all right. Girls can lift it just fine, but not old ladies. Plus, the actual lift takes only a few seconds, not too bad. But really, if you are frail and need to lift the boat, this is not the boat for you.

I will but a Coleman Ram-X and I will load it up as I take a leisurely cruise down local rivers/lakes ... and I will punish it and let it protect me as I take it down Class II creeks, enjoying the quiet ride in calm spots.

It would be a 10 out of 10 if the seats could be a little lower to make paddling more effective, but hey, now you are getting into the fast boat design parameters.