Submitted: 04-02-2010 by ljleejohns
Last summer, I said I would use my Cannon Wave paddles (two piece and four piece) in the winter and try to break or shatter their carbon/fibre shafts by putting them through their paces in sub-freezing temperatures. Well, I failed!

On several occasions, when temps were in the low 20s F. (circa -5 C.), I was out for hours at a time in Advanced Elements inflatables (whose air chambers help insulate the paddler against the cold), accelerating quickly, turning sharply, and generally stressing the paddles as best I could. Not only did they endure all this, but they were actually warm to hold with bare hands. What a change from composite shafts that splintered in the cold.

I reported these happy results to a paddle expert at MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-Op) who said the Cannon Wave carbon/fibre shaft paddle has become a best seller and a favourite in the local kayaking community. Its powerful blade and strong shaft join with its great swing weight and outstanding value (in the low hundreds, Canadian) to put it at the forefront.

Well, this fussy reviewer is now convinced: for the four piece, a rating of 9; for the two piece a rating of 10. Add in its value, this paddle rates a well-deserved and overall 10. Catch the "Wave," say I.

NRS: