Submitted: 03-23-2010 by Charleston SC Kayaker

As a large kayaker 6'4" 260lbs. I have limited choices so, I own two kayaks, a Capella 173 Carbon Kevlar $3K and a Wilerness Pungo 140 $820. The Capella is the best kayak I have ever paddeled but, I am going to say that the Pungo 140 is my go to choice for most if not all non- ocean trips. It is extremely stable and tracks a little slower but, I hope that someone with larger size also has good power for turns. You won't have any trouble keeping up, it is fast.

This is my second Pungo as I foolishly sold my first one when I bought my Capella. The new 2009 model that I bought has the new hatches, and front cockpit tray. Take a sponge, bilge pump, and do the front bulhead for contingency waves. Knock on wood, this kayak is so stable I have not turned my new one over yet. I paddle 1-2 times per week with two clubs, join a meetup group or club in your area its free and you will learn a lot.

The price is really cheap, 815-850 plus tax is the price most shops sell these for in my area. I can't say enough how comfortable this Pungo is inside, you will adjust a few time but, Wilderness has been very smart and now sacrificed their quality seat. I did break the little switch under the cup holder but, my kayak shop replaced that free of charge.

I hope Wilderness keeps improving and beefing up this model. The 2009 model has a few subtle changes that I really like versus the 2006. My suggestion, go rent one first, I think anyone who buys a kayak blind is taking a chance, I tried the Tsunami first and really thought I would buy one but, my buddy let me use his Pungo and I was very very surprised. Stay safe, I know I really like mine. BTW If you are not experienced and getting into this, choose a bright colored one, power boaters are really really dangerous in my area.