Submitted: 03-23-2010 by Southy

I picked up a composite C16 on a whim (price was right) and paddled it for the first time today. The boat has impressive stability - both primary and secondary. It's kind of like paddling a weeble-wobble.... very stable on edge and rights itself as soon as you drop your knee. It's very responsive to leaned turns and can be spun 180 with a lazy stern/bow sweep combo. I found it easily affected by current and wind, but in a playful and controlled way. It's not particularly prone to weathercocking, though keep in mind this is a very "turny" boat, so it certainly doesn't paddle like a straight keeled 18 footer. It's a blast to surf and is even more predictable than my old Valley Pintail, which until now has been my benchmark playboat in a following sea. The only negative I noticed was the noisy skeg box. Skeg works well, but it gurgles loudly with the skeg up...though you only really notice it on calm water. Fit and finish is excellent, with bone dry hatches and very comfy foam seat. I'm 6'2" 180 - I fit snugly but comfortably, though I have the foot pegs on the last notch and had to ditch the sandals to use the pegs (I may carve out a foam bulkhead block instead). Taller or larger paddlers may have a problem fitting.

Overall, this is a great playboat and though it's not the fastest boat on the water, it'll keep up with most boats once the conditions get rough due to it's very stable and forgiving nature. A blast to paddle....very happy with my purchase so far.

Advanced Elements: