Submitted: 03-22-2010 by ScottL

Picked up this boat from Randy over at New York Kayak Company on Manhattan island and must say, "what a fine buying experience" he gave me. Randy was very patient as I went through just about every boat he had and followed it up with prompt customer service! Thanks, Randy!

Now - I have just today taken this boat out once so this will be brief - but no worries, I will add more after I get more hours in it.

Me: Lower Intermediate level paddler at 6'2" x 190lbs and good physical condition. There are too many better paddlers out there to count so will just say take this with a grain of salt.

1. Fit n finish - As with every TideRace boat I have seen to date - extremely detailed and honed finish on this boat! Smooth surfaces inside and out, VERY light weight build it seems though this is a "Classic" layup. This is a 2010 model so is vacuum infused construction - and it shows! Very strong boat - no flex in the hull like others I have owned and yet even with the fourth hatch (that adds pounds) it feels lighter than my last Impex boat.
  2. Conditions - took it out in pretty benign conditions today in the Thimble Islands of Connecticut. (a piece of Maine) Waves 1-2 feet with an incoming tide and winds opposing the tide so it was fun. Water temps were 42 degrees, so forgive my sissiness - no rolling tried today!
  3. Performance - I guess I will start it with --- this boat is FAST. Was able to easily catch any and every wave for some fun surfing - and once on it the boat tracked just fine with no evidence of broaching with these small wave sizes. This boat was also unaffected by the wind and current - no matter what direction was chosen, it seemed like there was no wind or current as the boat went the direction you pointed it. No lee or weather cocking (though the winds were light) and no skeg was deployed.
  4. Comfort - the most comfortable boat ever tried - the seat was perfect, the backband was good and solid, and no leg or back pain was felt after 2hrs on the water. (not the norm!)
  5. Turning was quick, responsive, and effortless unlike several point-to-point boats I have owned in the past. Turning was not affected by the wind, waves, or current either and while edging sped up the turning, it was not required other than a very light lift of the knee.
  6. Overall impression: Ok, this was a first time out, the conditions were mild, the boat was not loaded with a ton of gear, etc etc etc. However, it was one fun time on the water, speed and turning was easy to achieve, and the smile factor was off the charts.
Money well spent! Right on, Aled - you nailed it!!

PFD Buyers' Guide: