Submitted: 03-19-2010 by paloverde

I'm 5'3", 150 pounds female and I thought the Cobra Escape was a perfect kayak for me, a beginner kayaker and avid birdwatcher. But the tri-hull causes a lot of noisy hull slap, which chases the birds away even before I can get close. The tri-hull is quite stable, although it did get tippy a few times in choppy waters. I managed to control the kayak at the last minute to fore go dumping. The tippiness may be because the seat is quite high in the kayak which makes it somewhat top heavy when you're sitting in it.

The Escape is a nice looking kayak with lots of storage for overnight camping, but the smooth sides scratch easily. It tracks well and at 34 pounds, it's easy to haul back and forth to the water. This is such a fun sport. I just wish I had known about the hull slap which disrupts the quiet of the lake and my birdwatching.