Submitted: 02-22-2010 by EFE

I have two Adirondack canoes, both of them are the royalex. My first is several years old and I have been using it as a tandem paddling canoe. It moves very easily through the water and is a pleasure to paddle on lakes and streams. I have avoided using it as a solo boat in the past because of the different heights of the bow and stern and the seat placements. I have just taken delivery of my new Royalex Adirondack with a solo setup. I had the factory only place one seat on a shortened bracket. This moves me farther ahead from where the stern seat is and allows me to kneel and get my feet under the seat. With no front seat I measures out my trip boxes and had the forward thwart set to make packing easy for long trips. I typically do 4-day to 2-week wilderness trips. By using the seat placement back from center I will be able to stand and poles the loaded canoe very easily, by standing between the seat and the carry yoke. Whereas I guide in the east (Maine and vacinity) I have to deal with low water and rocks. The factory installed skid plates to my specs which is high on the front stem and low on the stern stem. This allows for impact from rock in the rapids and keeps the wear on the stern bottom to a minimum. I have several personal boats for guiding and this one is going to fit right in for certain river trips, where I want an easy paddling boat with light rapids up to easy class 3's. Its not going to be as nimble in the rapids as some of my other boats with more rocker, but its going to make up for it in the flats.