Submitted: 02-10-2010 by Gudding

I wrote the previous review but wanted to submit another in order to slightly to revise my previous regarding this boat, as I've found one problem with it that I think needs addressing by Prijon: the seat mounts.

The way the seat is fixed to the boat is unstable and weak: no matter how hard one tightens it down, the seat slides around when doing hip snaps and rolls -- and once in class III water the seat actually popped out of its housing. When rolling this boat or when in rapids and doing hip snaps and bracing, both the base of the seat, as well as the back rest, easily come loose and move backward toward the stern, sometimes popping out of its housing. This is not good. I have another Prijon, purchased for my daughter: a Capri. It's a great boat, but its seat housing presents the same issue.

Otherwise it's a great boat. This boat is easy to roll, is highly maneuverable, can take a great deal of gear, is tough as buffalo horn, is fast, can travel upstream brilliantly even in fast rivers, but when it comes to snapping your hips in a high brace or rolling, the seat will pop out.

To remedy this, I have tied ligatures of paracord between the foot brace mounts and the seat mounts. This is not an ideal solution but it's a temporary fix until I can find a better way to brace the seat to the gunwale and hatch coaming.

By the way, I paddled this boat half way across the state of Missouri (on the Missouri) last June -- it was fully loaded with about 150 pounds of gear, food, and water (I weigh 170) -- and it performed brilliantly in a 5 mph current around wing dikes etc, *without a rudder*. If you learn how to edge this boat, you do not need a rudder. That said, it WILL broach on you, especially in a river without a rudder, if you don't learn how to edge it.

Prijon: fix the seat.