Submitted: 02-05-2010 by RS

I agree with the one review I read, that it can take 20 minutes OR MORE to get the signal sent. I like to take my kayak up to the Boundary Waters a few times a year, plus I am a helicopter nurse, so I respond to calls like those that come from the SPOT. The reason I rated this item so low is that I signed a one year contract, with a contract charge for $135, plus activation fee. My mother was ill, and had open heart surgery 6 months after buying this product, so I was not watching my credit card charges closely, as I was at my mother's side for 2 months. I got charged ANOTHER $140, but did not realize it until I got a $160 charge (which made me go back and look at my past charges to see if I had any other charges, and I found the one that happened while I was caring for my mother. I bought this unit for $200, plus paid the year's subscription, so I spend $350 to set this thing up, then the doubled the monthly cost, then, 6 months later when they charged my credit card again, my card expired, so they went thru, putting different expiration dates in until they found my credit card's new exp date. My 3 digit code on the back changed too, but they charged me right away. If you call Customer Service, they never answer the phone for customer service, and the recording has someone who speaks in such a heavy accent that you can barely understand him. I left a message (got no call back after a couple of days), so I emailed them - no response again. I got no response even after I disputed the charge, and finally, 3 months later I got the last charge taken off, and I sent them an email to cancel my account when I contacted my credit card company. READ THE ENTIRE CONTRACT ON A MONTHLY BASIS. In the contract, the give themselves an out, saying that they can change the price or any of the contract at any time without notifying you. Thus is a scummy company- Please call if you own one and make sure that they did not change your price without telling you. This unit is not worth all that. FYI, if a helicopter gets dispatched, your minimum fee is around $5k, reportedly, plus you may have to pay the people who came out to help find you, plus any medical bills, as I found out from one blogger. BE CAREFUL! They have lately been offering free or low cost units to reel you in, and if they give you a one year contract, I suggest you pay with a prepaid visa card that will be empty if they try and pull anything. Sorry to leave such a long message, I just don't want anyone to be screwed over financially while in this economy (or any other time)!!