Submitted: 01-25-2010 by William Mcgrath

I received my NC Escape in early January. It arrived at the freight terminal in the largest card board box I have ever seen! The folks at the YRC terminal were very gracious and also helpful in disposing of the carton. The kayak arrived in perfect condition. When I removed the top of the carton I was spellbound by the graceful lines and meticulous fit and finish of this boat. I brought it home, applied a quick coat of wax to the hull and left for the lake.

I have been paddling for years, but always in a plastic kayak. The difference was immediately obvious. The Escape slips through the water with ease and tracks wonderfully. It does require a little more effort to turn but I expected that. The Escape responds well to bracing turns and after a few hours on the water I feel one with this boat.

To be honest, I was a little apprehensive about the fiber glass seat, but Greg at NC assured me I would find it comfortable. So far I have to agree with him. I am 5'11" and 175 pounds and the seat shape and position is perfect for me. The underside of the cockpit combing is nicely shaped to provide a comfortable knee brace. I guess if I had to pick something I would like different on my kayak it would be a larger front hatch. It is only six inches in diameter and will limit what I can fit into the front compartment.

Overall I am extremely pleased with my new Yellow Escape and look forward to years of exploring the lakes and rivers of the Southeast. I would like to add that Doug and Greg of NC Kayaks were very helpful and patiently answered all of my questions. Give them a call before you buy your next kayak. You will be glad you did.