Submitted: 01-22-2010 by Yackyackkayak
I rate the stock Looksha 14 model year 2002 eight out of ten. The bottom middle hull between seat and front hatch had too much oil can action affecting form performance. I over came this issue by placing two lengths of shaft end to end meeting and pressed under the seat running between rear and front bulk heads. I added that front bulk head, also cut and made the hatch, didn't like having to be the one doing that work. I guess later models Looksha's 14 saved you from doing this work. Using the same shaft stock "Broken carbon fiber hockey stick shafts" I placed uprights on each end using about half inch compression pressed out between the inner deck and hull then set them with silicone. I started out with more length on the uprights but had too much "V" shape to my liking. It was tipsier finding my self edging too easily. I settled with just a slight "V" about three degrees from flat. Now having over all a stiffer boat with rudder at will to use in conditions of pressing currents, wind and or waves I like it much better. The rudder is a great thing as far as I am concern. If you prefer always leaning and breaking apart a smooth balanced forward paddle motion to make coarse knock your self out. I'll save strength for time. I have paddled this on Lake Ontario in wind driven waves around six feet having about twenty feet between peaks and prefer that even over running class 2 rapids trying to miss things and making sharp fast bends, since dropping a rudder in rapids not always a good ideal. Although if you are up to it and donít mind bracing for the ride firmly and paddle like an animal you can ride rapids with the best of them having different form but of the same length and width and Weight. This form of the boat would be real nice if made with composite. The seat is something you can work with. It depends what and how much you wear at times but the fact you can adjust the back support while in the water is always smart. Also the peddle braces doubling as rudder control I prefer over Epic boats gas peddles type because it is easier to stretch when you feel the need to. The deck webbing is ok as stock. New price is too much for that material. I got my used from someone who was in the water more than on and wanted to get rid of it. Again in itís class Neckyís Looksha Sport 14 is pretty good. I would replace it only with a Looksha 17 composite. I like the lakes and deep water rivers for smaller bodies of water the Looksha 14 is almost too long.