Submitted: 01-19-2010 by Bob B

I wish every tandem was a pleasant to paddle as the Current Design Crosswind. My wife and I have been solo paddling for more than thirty years. When she experienced carpel tunnel syndrome we decided to add a tandem to our fleet for times she wished to paddle but might not have the grip to do a long solo trip. We purchased a rotomolded Sea Twin used from a company that offers tours along the coast of Maine, and it was like trying to push a bathtub through the water. It was slow and heavy, but quite stable, and quite a departure from our solo boats, a fiberglass WS Sealution and a fiberglass WS Tempest 165.

We purchased the plastic Crosswind from someone who had almost completed a three person stitch and glue kit kayak - they needed space for a small child. Tandem paddling this is a pleasure. Most of our trips are in the six to twelve mile range, and with two of us paddling it is like we were both in our solo kayaks. The ride is fairly dry, though we do use spray skirts when the air is cool or we think the water will get choppy. We do use the rudder at all times, something we don't usually do with our solo boats, but I think this is a function of the design. With the rudder engaged there is no trouble tracking, and because of the contours we can turn in a shorter radius than several other tandem boats we have tried. There is very little problem with weather cocking due to the low profile.

When tandem paddling we may touch paddles once or twice on a twelve mile trip, but only if one person is turning around to check out something behind them. This has also been my experience when taking novice kayakers out in the boat- there is very good separation between the cockpits. I have a friend who is 6'4" and was comfortable in the bow cockpit on a seven mile trip. There is a great deal of storage room and the hatches are always dry. We have only day tripped but the previous owners were frequent campers and found the storage space very good.

We keep the Sea Twin for people who wish to join us but are leery of ocean kayaking, as it is impossible to tip, but for tandem kayaking it is the Crosswind for us every time. This would score 9 of 10 with us.