Submitted: 01-19-2010 by amccmc

I have paddled many things, K1 racing kayaks, waveskis (Indian ocean and Atlantic), current designs slipstream & gulfstream, wilderness systems tsunami, tempest, NDK Romany and others, but at the end it all comes back to what you use your kayak for and you. The Force 4 and Currituck were on my final consideration list and thanks the great help of Impex in New Liskard they finally got me in the force 4.

A test summer of lakes, primarily Lake Michigan and rivers and I am very pleased. The boat is quick, smooth in chop, handles a cross wind and swell without any issues or paddler stress. In rough water this is not a Cadillac, but more of a Landrover with traction, it will get you there and you will enjoy the journey. The primary stability is good, secondary good, and leaning and a good paddle stroke gets a quick turn; surf requires you to pay attention, but handles well. Beach launches in waves may sometime get little stones in the skegbox and jam the skeg especially with less rocker, but the skeg is really a standby for strong crosswind help and tracking is good in almost all conditions without it. The cockpit "fit" I found perfect at 5'11" 185 pounds there is nothing I would change. A little more rocker maybe, but in all a great kayak, well built, well supported by the manufacturer and what also appeals to me - it is not built with low cost labor or poor quality control outside North America and Europe. It is built right here in North America where I can pick up the phone and if need be ask a directly involved craftsman with "builder-ship pride" for advice or repair guidance.