Submitted: 01-12-2010 by Cliff

To begin with I have been looking at buying a Kayak for the last 5 months. Have tested the Malibu, Scrambler, and several other kayaks. Nothing that I have sat in compares to the Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game. Being over 250 lbs weight was a big concern for me. I love the water but fear the depth... don't know maybe a shark wants to eat me. Nonetheless having a ride that was able to keep me out of the water was a huge plus. I purchased my kayak from a local dealer and let me say that it does everything that I could ever want.

Pros for the kayak are as follows.
With the addition of plugs not the plug cups, the kayak rides extremely dry. I get more water in the boat from paddling then from it leaking in. Tracking is strong as well, even with a stiff breeze it seems to stay true to the destination in which you are going. With being so heavy I feared it's ability to draft in shallow waters, but I have been able to get in 8 inches of water and draft without a problem. The pole holders are in a great location. I feared the fact that I may not be able to cast with them there but have no problem at all. The stability of the Kayak is great as I can stand and throw my cast net with no problems. I did try to flip it in some shallow water and it did take some effort, really had to lean over and try to reach the center of the bottom before I got wet. The front hatch battery holders is perfect as I mounted up my fish finder and enjoy the comfort of knowing that the battery is not going to get wet.

Con's for the boat are that it is heavy, 60+ pounds but hey you are buying a large kayak. I found that by just backing the truck up to where I want to launch I could simply carry it to the water. It does take a few strokes to get the big beast going but once it is moving it takes very little effort. I do find though that the high dollar seat I purchased for it seems to slip a little, took it to the shop and they stated that it was just part of the design, nothing worth worrying about. The foot pegs do seem a bit cheap but they have not given me one bit of a worry. Make sure you install an anchor trolley with the boat as if you do not you will get a big seat of 42 degree water as I did.

All in all the kayak is a dream come true for me. I have the stability to get around anywhere without the worry of getting wet. I hooked up on a nice 42 inch red and did not have the roller coaster ride that many stated would happen. I can take all the gear, supplies and even my dog along for a nice day on the water. What a buy for fewer than 1000 dollars.