Submitted: 01-06-2010 by uspsria

When we decided to buy our first kayaks, we knew nothing. I bought a Perception Pacifica and my husband bought a Dagger Blackwater. The Pacifica was a tub, but I didn't know the difference because I didn't paddle anything else. Well, let me tell you--after renting Necky Manitou kayaks one day on the Allegheny, we were hooked. What a great kayak!

I sold the Perception, at a huge loss and couldn't be happier--I was going to buy a Necky Manitou 13. Since then, my husband sold his Dagger and bought a Manitou 13 as well. We both kayak Boreal Design kayaks for our big trips, but the Manitou kayaks are just as nimble and for 1/4th the price.

We initially purchased them to take to Florida for the winter. We thought we would leave them there to alleviate bringing them back and forth every season. We can't do it. We love them so much, we bought 2 more, and are going to have them both north and south. We love them that much. I am small 5'0 and 115, my husband is 5'10 and 190--the fit and comfort of paddling is the same for both of us. They are responsive and track really well. And they are relatively fast if you need speed. The seat is amazingly comfortable, and easily adjustable. They are easy to transport and durable in both fit and finish. The only downside is the hatch cover. If you use your knee to hold one side, the other side slips on easy enough.

All said, we now own a fleet of 4 which we will transport back and forth in order to introduce all of our friends to the wonderful sport of kayaking. We highly recommend these kayaks!