Submitted: 01-06-2010 by Tom Ponte

I started kayaking when kayaks were 12 feet long and the Perception Dancer was considered radical. I own some relatively current small play boats that are under six feet. I was looking for a flat bottomed boat that would surf well but round enough chines and enough volume that you could drop into holes and side surf them like the old days.

The Remix has hull design very similar to the old Necky Jive but with more volume. It doesn't surf as well as a Jive (a tall order) but the extra volume is much more forgiving in big white water. The entry into the beveled edges is a bit more gradual than the Jive allowing for pretty relaxed side surfing. Plus with the modern outfitting it is about ten times more comfortable. I can sit in a Remix 69 comfortably all day and change the position of my legs (I am 6ft 180lbs).

General river running is very precise, predictable and at the same time forgiving. The hull speed is very good by modern standards (that is not saying much). One really stand out feature is how well it makes eddy turns. How much difference can there be you say? All I can tell you is that I have never had so much fun making eddy turns and I have owned or paddled a lot of boats. It is like it has little rocket boosters. One other thing it punches through holes like nothing and the same goes for corking out of the bottom of falls - again it is like it has little rocket boosters.

White water feels like a fun amusement park ride with this boat. If you are a beginner and white water freaks you out after some practice with this kayak you need to find a different sport. About the only criticism of the boat I have is the easily adjustable thigh braces although comfortable could be more solid and substantial.