Submitted: 01-05-2010 by RSM

After lengthy research and testing of kayaks in the 12 to 14 foot range, my wife and I both purchased Prijon Cruiser 430's. One red and one mango. Being new to the sport (previous canoe owners) we found the stability, tracking, speed, maneuverability, storage capacity and weight of this model to be exceptional for the categories in which we were looking.

We have now owned our kayaks for over two years and absolutely love them. We have had these kayaks on local small lakes, calm rivers such as the Mississippi, and even toured part of the Lake Superior North Shore. (The Lake Superior tour was done during calm weather). We primarily tour on day trips for exercise and the pleasure of being on the water. I sometimes attach a clampable fishing pole holder on the forward portion of the hatch ring and trowel while I paddle. The open cockpit suits this type of fishing perfectly. We have paddled into 2+ foot swells with no issue. Wind becomes a bit of a tracking nuisance when blowing above 15 mph.

The only reason I don't rate this boat a 10 is because I expected it to actually be a bit lighter than it is. Though it is lighter than any comparable roto-molded kayak we tried, I believe the weight is closer to 50+ lbs than the 44 lbs originally advertised. It is still no problem to hoist onto our racks on top of the SUV.