Submitted: 01-04-2010 by Dave_C

After using many of the reviews on this site to pick a new kayak, its only fair that I post my own, now that I have purchased. Took my new P&H Capella 166 out for its first run last week and loved it. I would probably be best described as a novice, 210lbs, 6'1 and this is my first Sea Kayak, although have paddled a few club/school boats over the last year. I wanted to buy something that would give me confidence as a novice, but that I wouldn't feel compelled to trade up after 6 months. Needed something to see me through a few years at least and I think I found it!

Before buying the Capella tried out an Esky 15, P&H Scorpio and also a Dagger Cortez. I also considered the Point 65 Sea Cruiser which is in the same price range but was advised that it was a bit tippy for a starter like me. I found the Capella to be a great kayak and from the first time I tested it, I knew it was the one for me. Excellent stability, edges so easily, good speed, and on my first trip managed over 15Km's mainly in calm water, but towards the end of the trip got hit with very strong inner harbor winds that meant we had a lot of chop to contend with it. The Kayak handled this brilliantly. Head on into the strong wind and swell, was no problem at all. With the skeg down, had no problem keeping her steady and straight until I felt ready to make a dash to the shore. Great to have a kayak that is fast, but also gives this beginner confidence when needed, while not being too boring. Checked all hatches and they were completely dry after my first run. Looking forward to getting out again.

Thunder Bay Tourism: