Submitted: 01-04-2010 by Ben Tucker

Built my merganser from plans. It is very light at 18 kg and has a tough Kevlar layer on the bottom. Stability is not low but the kayak is very fast. And handles very well without a rudder or skeg. It is hard to maneuver without edging. But slight edging takes care of any slight weathercocking.

In the surf the boat is fun. And I have had some awesome rides ( and some awesome wipeouts! ) I am planning to take 25 mm or so of the forefoot and deadwood aft to improve the maneuverability on the basis that I can always add them again with epoxy if needed. The plans were easy to use. And I am very pleased with the look of the boat. This boat has taught me a lot of good paddling skills, that I would not have learned in a more stable boat with a rudder. It seams like an easy boat to roll.