Submitted: 12-29-2009 by bbonnen
I built the Osprey Triple 5 or 6 years ago so I could get myself and my 2 kids in the same boat. It is beautiful, rugged and versatile. Paddled solo it is much faster than a sit on top and also easy to keep up with a group of ocean kayaks as long as they're not racing. As a double it has lots of storage. With 3 people it has been good for taking out novices, older relatives who aren't so good at paddling, and allowing more friends to come along when only 2 boats fit on the roof of my car. I later built an Arctic Tern 17' and 14' which I also highly recommend. The triple still gets plenty of use though even with the kids grown and gone. Also it's a pleasure to build. I have no previous boat building experience and very little woodworking experience (I made a bookshelf once and can build a wooden fence) so I would agree with Pygmy no experience required. What is required is the ability to follow the step by step instructions. Phone support for my many questions was excellent - the people answering the phone have built Pygmy boats themselves. You will meet people with this boat - it's a real conversation piece on the car, at the dock, or on the water. A+ all around.