Submitted: 07-15-2000 by sabattis

I have Peter's first built carbon/kevlar layup 10' canoe. At a pound less (16 lbs) than the standard kevlar it's not a lot lighter, but it sure looks sharp. For me it performs exceptionally well... it tracks straight and true when you want, and it heels over for beautifully carved turns or spins on a dime when you need it to. If you keep the load light and centered it does well in moderate waves, bow and stern bobbing like a cork. The biggest problem is not in cutting the waves, but rather with the wind blowing the water on board. Carry a sponge for that and for double blade paddle drips. In cold weather wear rain pants because your legs will get wet from the drips. I bushwhack from pond to pond in the Adirondacks and with a rigid rig attached to my backpack frame I wear the canoe "like a hat" to keep my hands totally free.