Submitted: 11-28-2009 by tssplash
Paddles and tracks fairly well. Weathercocks pretty badly. Is very comfortable to paddle, and fish from, and the tray that is included is really handy. I do like that there are ample rod holders, however I do not understand why the front mounted holder is fixed/locked at only one rotation angle, and was not made to be adjustable locking. It would have been convenient to have had it to where one could lock it in at any spot of 360 degree angle. After paddling for nearly 15 years now, I can say that although I think that this kayak was a good idea/design, it has a couple of severe weak points. My seat broke at the point where the bottom front mounts at the floor almost immediately, and I'm not one who is abusive at all, but take great care with my boats. The bulkhead also leaked from the time it was new. Unfortunately after contacting the store, and also Perception, the hoops that I would have to jump through to get the warranty to fix are far too unreasonable, and they not only didn't appear the least bit interested in my feedback, but actually treated me as though I was bothersome, and trying to get something for nothing, which I never even asked for replacement. I must say I'm a bit taken aback by the attitude at Confluence. Sadly, this seems to be becoming more typical in America today with almost any product. They don't mind taking your money, but the second you have a problem, no matter how legitimate, they treat you like a thorn in their side, patronizing you, and immediately start giving you the runaround. And the ironic thing in this situation is that I didn't even really want my boat replaced, nor fixed. They just immediately, and automatically jumped to the conclusion as soon as I tried to give the feedback/problems I'd had. I knew that if I got another new one, it would probably be the exact same problems, and I knew that I could fix this boat probably better than they ever would anyway, so I had no intention of even asking for that.

Simply put, I cannot recommend this kayak due to it's design, and/or manufacturing flaws, and more importantly, the companies lack of concern, and unwillingness to even listen to the problems, much less offer to take care of it. It's fair to point out that I merely called Perception to give them feedback so that it might help them fix these design weaknesses in future boats, yet the people as Confluence immediately went into what I refer to as "defense mode" the moment I mentioned a "problem with my kayak". I feel people have a right to know how a company operates AFTER the purchase of a kayak, so I'm trying to be part of the solution by stating it here for all who care to know. I would have given this boat at least a 7, or possibly an 8 if the seat had not broken, the bulkhead had not been defective, and the company showed more concern/professionalism for it's product.

I will keep the boat, and will fix these problems myself. Needless to say, had I known all this before hand, (which is why I'm reporting the first review of this kayak here) I certainly wouldn't have bought it at the (what I consider to be) "premium price" it sells for. I'm hoping this will help someone else with making a decision of what they want/need. I truly wish I could have given a more positive review of this boat. Hopefully, Confluence will get it together, and realize that "our satisfaction" will be key to their success.