Submitted: 11-28-2009 by agongos
Bought the trailer in early spring of this year, '09. I probably have 2000 mile on it by now. Very impressed with engineering and parts. Everything fit together perfectly. Very easy to assemble by myself. No rocket science here. I bought some car mudflaps made of black ABS plastic and cut them to fit the trailer's fenders because mud was being sprayed on our boats, road construction near home. I bought a high quality jack stand wheel for the trailer that works very nice. Just roll the thing by hand across the concrete floor of the barn.

When I installed the tongue extension I drilled out the trailer to accept the same larger sized bolts supplied with the tongue extension. Put our Thule Slipstream car rack on the trailer, nice! I pull it behind our Honda Element and our brand new little Honda Fit. Can't even tell it's there. The best feature of all with this trailer is the light weight suspension. Unlike all other kayak trailers, when you hit a bump or a pothole with a Rack & Roll the boats just rock up and down endo-wise. Sorta like the suspension on an old fashion baby buggy. The trailer's wheels never leave the ground. Most other trailers are design to carry much more than couple hundred pounds, and when they hit a pothole they bounce up off the road and thud back to the pavement. That's tough on glass boats! With a CD Titan and an Impex Currituck, and one of those black body boxes for carrying gear we can't possibly have more than 250 pounds on the trailer. I don't think the tongue weight of the loaded trailer is over 50 pound either.

It costs a ton of money, almost 3 grand, but worth every penny. Make sure you lock the trailer to the ball hitch and the ball hitch to the receiver, then you know the trailer will still be in the parking lot when you take-out. Never have to worry about the boats. It's simple to back up to a boat ramp or turn around, especially with the tongue extension. Our boats are near or at 18 feet long, thus the need for the tongue extension. With two repaired shoulders it so cool to drive down the boat ramp, put the trailer wheels to the edge of the water, lift the bow of the boat up 3' and slide it on the trailer. How cool is that! No more lifting the boats to the car's roof top, and it's so much easier to put straps on at waist level. No more climbing around on the car. I always put 2 Thule straps on the hull and two ratchet lines on the bow and stern. with a red flag clipped to the stern of one of the boats. Another neat thing with this trailer is if you go to unknown put-ins for the first time, or say you get lost on a little two track trial and it dead ends and there's no place to turn around. Simply take off the trailer. Turn the car around and put the trailer back on. It's that light and easy to move around by hand. Believe me, I've done it a few times!

I'll give it a strong 10 outa 10. Couldn't be happier. Only thing hard to do was spend the money, but afterwards, very pleased!

Schitt Creek Paddle Wear: