Submitted: 11-16-2009 by wild louisiana

first of all I'd like to state that this kayak is not hard to turn like twenty or so of the other reviewers would have you believe. I'm new to kayaking and one of the first places I took it was to an extremely tiny and winding creek that I had never explored before. I had no problem maneuvering around downed trees and tight corners. You just have to lean it away from the turn and use the correct stroke. The stability is only a factor while getting in and out and that's pretty good as well. It handles well in big water even when taking waves sideways. you can also lean it pretty far over. I've yet to turn it over. The speed is pretty good but as others have said it does get hard after you push past a certain speed. all in all it seems to move at a fair rate.

One thing I don't like is the seat. I hate it. I first removed the back cushion and rigged the nylon strapping to where it would still support the seat back. A whole lot more comfy. The plastic that's under the cushion has a nice flex to it while still being firm. I still hate how bulky the seat bottom is and will eventually figure something else out for it. This is the 2008 version. It looks like they've done some work on the seat for 2010. Another note is that the hatch covers are not hard to put back on. you just have to roll them up and then roll them on.

I would recommend this kayak to anyone who is just beginning and wants something a little more serious to grow into. I myself am going to sell this and stick to poling my canoe. This is a roomy kayak and I am just 5'8" and still feel cramped. legs and lower body falling a sleep for hours is not good for you at all. Next time I want a small boat with speed and beautiful handling characteristics I'll get a solo canoe. that way I can sit and kneel; a lot more ergonomic. Just some food for thought for those considering a kayak.