Submitted: 11-15-2009 by MLF

My wife and I each have solo SOT kayaks which we use most of the time. We bought a Magic 14.5 last spring as our spare, to use when we have guests. We looked at lots of tandems, and selected this one for its versatility. Lots of options for configuring the seats. Our large Lab loves to go with me, and I can move my seat forward to put him behind me, or I can leave out the front seat to have him in the front. Also, we have found that the seats are deep enough, that I can have one of the smaller grandkids sit on the front edge of the seat in front of me. You can even mount the front seat backward, so your guest can talk face to face as you paddle him/her around.

Mostly we have used it on flat water, but last month we went to the Buffalo National River in N. Arkansas, and only took the Magic. After lots of rain the Upper Buffalos was up high, with lots of class II rapids. We were really surprised how well it performed. Some of the rapids had high enough waves to completely fill the kayak with water, making it a little wobbly. But we just slowed up a bit, and the water soon drained through the scupper holes.

Drawbacks
  1. Its heavy.
  2. The seat snaps are a little difficult to undo.
  3. The seat bases partially cover the scupper holes - this could be fixed by adding some holes in the bases
Overall a very good multipurpose kayak.

BassYaks: