Submitted: 11-04-2009 by Frank

I bought this canoe because I am going into retirement within the next 10 years and wanted something with which to fish calm waters...
I bought it at a Dick's outlet and the two guys helped me put it up on top of my jeep on these foam pads. When I got home, it was too much trouble to take it off and store it anywhere, so I just drove around for a couple of days with my new purchase on top of my vehicle. The following Saturday I went to my nearby lake and went fishing. Getting this thing off my jeep was a bit difficult by myself. Afterwards (I had a great time fishing, I might add) getting it on by myself was very difficult. Although they say it is only 75 lbs, it seems like 200!

I think I have have found a way to one-mandedly get that heavy canoe off and back on the top of my jeep. What it involves is ropes inside of fire hoses draped over your front and back windows and around our precious canoe, and one man (or woman) can hoist it up and onto the jeep's roof (or whatever your rooftop carrying vehicle may be!) I am used to a canoe that I can carry with one hand, like the light 16 ft. Grumman aluminum canoes they used to make. Or even Adirondack guide boats that you could carry around with a yoke, but this Adventure 14 is much too cumbersome to carry around with other than being towed on wheels.
I have come up with a system of lifting my A 14 in the rafters of my garage, above my jeep. I have outfitted my A14 with stainless steel Mauri lifting rings on the bow and stern, penetrating both the polypropylent skin and plastic heavy outer skin of the buoyancy blocks.

My Adventure 14 now rests above my jeep, waiting to be taken out soon in this beautiful fall weather, or awaiting spring, or ..... whatever.
I love this boat.