Submitted: 10-19-2009 by ken

Good boat. Just bought Sept. 09. Have had 17 other canoes so can look back on some experience. Wanted a solo boat at a weight I could manhandle myself, in Royalex so as to take normal river abuse, and be comfortable in class II water. The Wilderness does all of these nicely and has a nice glide on flatwater. It is a little slow to respond in a current (won't turn on a dime like my Bell Yellowatone tandem) but the trade off is that it moves faster on flatwater with a double bladed paddle which is what I wanted. Can't have everything which is why I keep trying out new canoes.

I did have the outfitter pull out the metal seat brackets which are an abomination and put in conventional 31/2" drops. Took out the back thwart and set the front drop in the thwart hole, moving the seat back a good six to eight inches to get it away from dead center. reinstalled the rear thwart further back from the seat so it wouldn't press against my back which it did in its original position. The metal seat bracket arrangement is why I would only give the boat an 8 rating and Wenonah would do well to go back to a conventional wood drop system that a true canoer can easily adapt to personal preference. Good boat otherwise, very stable and a joy to lug around and throw up on top of a car.